Wooden Chinese Sword: A Unique Tool for Kung Fu and Tai Chi
What’s in this article?
The Wooden Chinese Sword is one of the best ways to learn about Chinese swords and martial arts without injuring yourself. There are so many good things about them that even Kung Fu masters use them daily as part of their students’ training.
If you want to get a Chinese wooden sword, you should look for certain kinds of wood and proper blade types that will work best for beginners. In this article, we’ll talk about the best wood for a Chinese wooden sword, the different types of blades that will work best for you to train with, some factors as to why you should get a wooden sword, and whether or not you can use it in public.
Types of Wooden Chinse Swords to Try
There are many types of Chinese Swords to choose from if you are a beginner. For example, the Jian is a double-edged sword that could function as a Rapier, and the Dadao is a powerful, heavy, broad, and slashing sword. The Dao sabers have curved blades that can cut and slice.
Both are acceptable swords, but here are the best wooden Chinese swords to train with so that you can get the full value, speed, design and power they represent.
The wooden Jian sword is the most popular Chinese wooden sword for training, and the closest style to it is called the Tai Chi sword. It is a straight, double-edged wooden blade that can be used in various movements and training methods, such as breathing, meditation, or just practicing striking and defending.
It is the best wooden Chinese sword for a beginner, and it has been that way throughout all of Chinese history, just as wooden swords have been used in history all over the world.
The blade tip of the Niuweidao, a type of Chinese saber, is wider. It was used in modern China, and it is a type of sword designed to cut and slash thanks to its curve and widening shape. With a wooden Niuweidao, it’s easy to learn these slashing techniques, and you can even use it as a dual-wielded sword for lightning-fast strikes.
The Liuyedao is the most common Chinese sword used to slice instead of cut. It has been used extensively in Chinese sword history and is also an important training tool in Chinese martial arts. A Chinese Liuyedao made of wood is a great way to start training with a curved Dao Chinese saber.
4. Dadao or Jiu Huan Dao
If you wanted to see how the Chinese heavy broadsword, usually called Dadao or sometimes Jiuhuandao, or 9-ringed bladed sword, feels and how powerful it is, you should get a wooden version of it. As a piece of decor, it is a very interesting wooden sword, and it is the best and most popular type of wooden blade to have with you for a costume.
5. Butterfly Sword
Butterfly swords are among the most well-known Chinese swords, thanks to today’s media. They are meant to be used with quick strikes and non-traditional ways, which can be trained with wooden models without hurting yourself. We think wooden Butterfly Swords are the best choice for dual-wielded swords worldwide.
The Miaodao is a type of Dao Chinese sword made in the 20th century. It was produced similarly and followed the traits of the Wodao and Changdao before it. It’s like a Katana, except it’s a bit longer and bigger. If you want to train with a two-handed Chinese wooden sword to see how well it moves, you should get a wooden Miaodao.
Best Material for Wooden Chinese Sword
When looking for a wooden Chinese sword to train with, make sure the wood is red oak, which is a type of softwood. Red oak types of wood make the best training weapons, even if it comes down to sparring at times. It is very stable, has good weight and balance, is not very expensive, and looks beautiful with its color and pattern.
Simple hardwood is another type of wood that makes it a good training tool but is also more prone to cracking.
Weight and Length
The type of wood will depend on the weight and feel of your wooden Chinese sword. If your wooden sword is between 27 to 35 inches (70 to 90 cm), the most usual type of wooden sword you will be training with should be around 0.9 to 1.1 lbs (400 to 500 grams), depending on the type of Chinese blade which you have chosen.
Why Use a Chinese Wooden Sword?
Chinese wooden swords are the main tools that Wushu masters use to hone their skills, which makes them very popular. If you have them around, you’ll have many things to do with a sword, like use it as a training tool or try out different sword dancing styles.
Here are the benefits and uses of Chinese wooden swords:
- Injury – You probably won’t get hurt if you use Chinese wooden swords. If you aren’t careful, you might get a small bruise, but nothing worse will happen.
- Solo Practice – When you have the shape of a sword in your hand, whether made of metal or wood, you can test how well it can attack or defend. So, they are the best way to practice by yourself.
- Martial Arts – In Wushu and Kung Fu, wooden Chinese swords can be used just like any other sword. Even though it shouldn’t be used for sparring because it can get broken, it works great for everything else.
- Lighter – Because some Tai Chi practitioners may be older, the fact that the Chinese wooden swords are light is an advantage.
- Sticky Sword Technique – The sticky sword technique is a Tai Chi move in which the blades of two Chinese swords touch each other and move smoothly to better master the swords.
- Physical & Mental Workout – Even though it’s made of wood, it won’t be any easier to use than a real sword. Wooden swords are great for hard training that will increase your heart rate and make you sweat.
- Display & Costume Item – If you want to try on a historical costume from the Tang Dynasty, you can get a wooden sword and hold it up next to you to see how it measures and looks beside you. You can paint wooden swords and use them as great costume pieces that won’t hurt anyone.
- Present – A wooden sword would make a wonderful gift for a history buff or a sword enthusiast. It would give them both a piece of decor that can be hung on the wall or a swinging tool they can use daily.
Training with a Wooden Chinese Sword in Public
In most countries, it is against the law to train in public with a wooden Chinese sword, so be sure to check the laws where you live. This is important because many people wouldn’t consider it a weapon, even though the law may. You can only carry a wooden Chinese sword if it is in its sheath and easy to see, and you have a good reason, like going to a martial arts school.